Author Topic: Wanted to know the difference b/w IT and CSE? Here's your answer.  (Read 5051 times)

Offline Furia-Cieca

• Waiting to fail, or failing to wait?
  • Universal Moderator

• MAIT
    • _
      CSE
    • View Profile
The question has been going on for ages for the students as to what exactly is the difference between IT and CSE and if the difference isnt large why do CSE keep getting preferred over IT by the IT, Software, Web-App, OS companies? The answer in itself isnt a simple one as different universities have varied curriculum for the two and in cases the difference can be large.
But now from purely IPU point of view, IT and CSE differ by about 3-5 subjects(depending on what you choose as elective subjects in final year too). But there's a key here which would tell you why CSE gets preferred by comapanies for development, testing or even maintainence of its patents in preference to IT.

Starting off, in the first four semesters(2years) CSE and IT are exactly the same, the same syllabus and the same exam question papers. But fifth semester is when things start to change. Five subjects are still common between IT and CSE but here comes the catch, the sixth subject for CSE is vast realms of Linux and X-Window Programming, while IT study a subject Digital Communication-I, which is a forced  subject and one which  both CSE and IT would have studied almost all the syllabus of it in 4th sem as a part of Communication System subject. Linux on the other hand is the standing pillar of all the Server Technologies as a part of LAMP(Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl/Python), and is preferred to Windows by majority of the companies.

Coming to sixth semester, here again five subjects are common and the sixth subject for IT is Communication System-II again about 80% of which would already have been done in a bit lesser detail in 4th in Communication System Subject studied by CSE and IT. CSE meanwhile have, Multimedia Technologies as their final subject. Do you notice the difference coming already?

Seventh sem, the two compulsary subjects for IT are Advanced Computer Networks(ACN) and Multimedia Applications(notice the difference CSE studies Technolgoies in detail while IT do Applications alone). so, IT are doing something in seventh sem which CSE has already done in more detail in sixth sem.  Whereas CSE study ACN and Advanced Computer Architecture which deals with the advanced topic of various computer architectures and mechanisms, as their compulsary subjects.The elective subjects almost entirely the same.

Into final eighth sem, IT's compulasry subjects as Mobile Communications and Embedded Systems which are elective for CSE. CSE on the other hand study Artificial Intelligence and Software Testing as their compulasry subjects which are elective inturn for IT.

All in all, there is enough a difference to see why CSE gets preference over IT by both students and the companies.
And the case at times is that CSE are used for development and testing while IT are chosen for maintainence but incase of CSE when you develop something, you know how to maintain it but the vice versa isnt true that if you can maintain something, you MAY NOT know how that thing was actually built or developed. And that is what it comes down to eventually.

Any more doubts would probably be dealt by the moderators here. :)

MAIT CSE[2008-12]
SAP MDG/HANA/UI5, SAP NetWeaver.
You do not have permission to give points
point 0 Points

This topic did not receive points.

Offline techmaniac

• kar bhla to ho bhla
  • Alumni
  • Techbits Elite Member
  • kar bhla to ho bhla
    • _
      Not Specified
    • View Profile
Wanted to know the difference b/w IT and CSE? Here's your answer.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 03:27:39 PM »
first of all i want to say a good post
no offence to anybody
i think you have read a communication system.....in 4th sem...ok
now how can you say that (digital communication and communication system-II) in 5th n 6th sem will be same as in 4th sem(communication system-I).

and now come on linux...i dont think if you read linux in college will help you a lot.....and will be able to clear all stuff related to linux.
and will be able to beat students who have done such cources from nettech ,niit,iant etc

now come on placement..........i dont think that any company give relaxation to cse students over IT as the companies takes a common exam,gd,interview and then select student....on the basis of your knowledge

and you told that student also prefer cse over IT...dont think so
if you are getting IT in usit and CSE in mait what will you prefer?

i am not telling as a IT students...i m posting because i feel these are the factual points which you should have to consider

Offline Furia-Cieca

• Universal Moderator

• MAIT
    • _
      CSE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 04:50:32 PM »
Quote from: techmaniac on June 26, 2010, 03:27:39 PM
first of all i want to say a good post
no offence to anybody
i think you have read a communication system.....in 4th sem...ok
now how can you say that (digital communication and communication system-II) in 5th n 6th sem will be same as in 4th sem(communication system-I).

and now come on linux...i dont think if you read linux in college will help you a lot.....and will be able to clear all stuff related to linux.
and will be able to beat students who have done such cources from nettech ,niit,iant etc

now come on placement..........i dont think that any company give relaxation to cse students over IT as the companies takes a common exam,gd,interview and then select student....on the basis of your knowledge

and you told that student also prefer cse over IT...dont think so
if you are getting IT in usit and CSE in mait what will you prefer?

i am not telling as a IT students...i m posting because i feel these are the factual points which you should have to consider

Okay, now I'll try to get things straight.
I researched and asked people who've already done it or are passouts, and the response I got is that both the subjects Digital Comm I and II is nothing but an extended version of CS which we've already done. You might study it in a bit more detail but that is changing nothing as the core stuff is the same.

Onto Linux, its the OS that we have got to know to work on servers most of which employ Linux rather than Windows. I'm astounded that IPU doesnt have Linux in the IT curriculum. See, the college will clear you all of the basics and anything more is to be done by ourselves. And doing Linux from outside sources isnt going to help a great deal, do people who do C++ and Java etc from outside be on the same level as Btech? Heck no, thats because even if you know nothing, these Aptech's, NIIT's etc would still give you a certi.

And CSE is indeed preferred over IT by students. You cant compare MAIT CSE and USIT IT because the college has changed, keep that constant and just the stream be variable. How many people pick MAIT IT over CSE? Practically no one because the CSE on your degree would let you into the development, testing and maintaince world while IT are restricted as they deal with more of applications rather than the core stuff of anything.
MAIT CSE[2008-12]
SAP MDG/HANA/UI5, SAP NetWeaver.

Offline super_saiyan

• kAmEhaMeHaaaa........
  • Universal Moderator
  • Techbits Elite Member
  • kAmEhaMeHaaaa.............

• HMR
    • _
      Not Specified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 10:10:02 PM »
After Reading This
Muje lagtha hain
IT~MCA
In IT they also doing application part
like mca master in computer application
what to do you say
CSE~IT>MCA

Offline pikachu

• pika......pikaa.........
  • Co-Admin
  • Techbits Elite Member
  • pika......pikaa.........

• NIEC
    • _
      Not Specified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 10:33:57 PM »
Quote from: aditya.bansal1234 on July 07, 2012, 10:10:02 PM
After Reading This
Muje lagtha hain
IT~MCA
In IT they also doing application part
like mca master in computer application
what to do you say
CSE~IT>MCA

No bro its not like that...
Here only difference of Both streams is given that is only 5-6 subjects have been described . Other 40 subjects are not even touched in this topic and about 20-30 practical subjects which one has to do while doing Btech . Yes u can say MCA is like Btech but it is not same in any case ....

SOME LINKS ARE NOT WORKING/NOT VISIBLE , JUST REPLY IN THE SAME TOPIC OR CLICK ON 'REPORT TO MODERATOR ' AND WE WILL REUPLOAD IT WITHIN 12hrs.

Offline super_saiyan

• kAmEhaMeHaaaa........
  • Universal Moderator
  • Techbits Elite Member
  • kAmEhaMeHaaaa.............

• HMR
    • _
      Not Specified
    • View Profile