Author Topic: TRAI slams Facebook: Says ‘I support Free Basics’ campaign is wholly misplaced  (Read 2952 times)

BEN TENNYSON

Telecom regulator TRAI has written a strongly worded letter to Facebook, slamming the social media giant for the way it ran the campaign to save its zero-rating platform ‘Free Basics’.  The service was banned in India after TRAI issued a paper questioning the validity of differential pricing for some content services by ISPs. Facebook has tied up with Reliance Communications for Free Basics in India.

Read it Here Source : http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/social/trai-slams-facebook-letter-on-free-basics-campaign-net-neutrality/
You do not have permission to give points
point 0 Points

This topic did not receive points.

Offline Mr.360

• BVP
    • _
      ECE
    • View Profile
Telecom regulator TRAI has written a strongly worded letter to Facebook, slamming the social media giant for the way it ran the campaign to save its zero-rating platform ‘Free Basics’.  The service was banned in India after TRAI issued a paper questioning the validity of differential pricing for some content services by ISPs. Facebook has tied up with Reliance Communications for Free Basics in India.

Read it Here Source : http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/social/trai-slams-facebook-letter-on-free-basics-campaign-net-neutrality/
Ye mark zukerburg bewakoof bna raha hai ...nd best part  log ban rahe hai ...just beocz they heard the word "free" they don't know the truth about it ... L-)

BEN TENNYSON

Ye mark zukerburg bewakoof bna raha hai ...nd best part  log ban rahe hai ...just beocz they heard the word "free" they don't know the truth about it ... L-)
I have got so many notifications about it on the facebook that your friends and so others have supported free basics. L-)

Offline drdrb

• USIT
    • _
      CSE
    • View Profile
great bahut chalu ban rahe the ye  >:P

Offline Captain America

• The Winter Soldier.
  • Alumni
  • The Winter Soldier.

• NIEC
    • _
      EEE
    • View Profile
People from other sides are also misleading-

1) Facebook is just another company, more like a shop, which wants to provide its services for free. A customer is still free to buy paid internet. What's wrong in that ?
It is undemocratic and unethical to stop a company from selling its services at its own rate and conditions. If you don't like the free services given by facebook just don't buy it. As simple as that.

2) People say, it may kill startups. So what? Why shd fb sacrifice its own business to let ur startup flourish? Is Facebook legally answerable to u for the success and failure of ur startup?

3) Isn't it immoral that a big source of knowledge like internet is still only accessible to rich people.a guy who can't pay 300 rs to airtel can't avail the. 3g internet. A poor guy can't access this source of knowledge just cus it is a paid service. Internet shd be made free.

Thing is, software kids are afraid of competition posed by Facebook. Net neutrality is just an excuse.

I just want to say, it is quite greedy to stop a company from selling its services at an arbitrary rate just cus it may give u a tough competition.

Healthy arguments and criticism are welcome.

Justice denied anywhere diminishes justice everywhere.

Offline drdrb

• USIT
    • _
      CSE
    • View Profile

People from other sides are also misleading-

1) Facebook is just another company, more like a shop, which wants to provide its services for free. A customer is still free to buy paid internet. What's wrong in that ?
It is undemocratic and unethical to stop a company from selling its services at its own rate and conditions. If you don't like the free services given by facebook just don't buy it. As simple as that.

2) People say, it may kill startups. So what? Why shd fb sacrifice its own business to let ur startup flourish? Is Facebook legally answerable to u for the success and failure of ur startup?

I remember a story that i red few days ago on Quora: https://www.quora.com/I-want-to-know-more-about-Free-Basics-of-Facebook-What-this-all-thing-is-about?no_redirect=1
I willl quote major part here:
Quote/Ask Question
1. I go to a particular bar to drink a beer which I have been doing so for years. I pay him 300 bucks for 1 beer.
2. Suddenly one day he says you can drink 3 beers for free, 4th beer will cost you 100 bucks. I lovingly oblige.
3. From one beer a day for 300, I end up having 4 beers a day for 100.
4. Now I can't sleep without having 4 beers a day. But since it is costing me only 100 bucks, I don't mind.
5. Then one fine day, bar owner says each beer costs 1000 bucks and for side dish, I need to register myself for 5000 bucks.
6. I go in search of some other bar, but find all other bar owners closed shop because of unsustainable business ethics.
7. Now I have to pay 4000 bucks to get my daily sleeping dose which was originally 300 bucks
So, SAY NO TO 'Free Basics'.

3) Isn't it immoral that a big source of knowledge like internet is still only accessible to rich people.a guy who can't pay 300 rs to airtel can't avail the. 3g internet. A poor guy can't access this source of knowledge just cus it is a paid service. Internet shd be made free.
Its not INTERNET Its just facebook. This free access is limited to facebook's partner websites and applications. In no way this is leading towards a big source of knowledge. Is wikipedia a current partner? No Is khan academy a partner? No Is coursera/edx and the likes any of it facebook's partner currently? No. What facebook just wants is to enlarge its Indian User Base on its social network only which would indirectly help them afterwards with advertising/revenue.

What facebook should do is if they really want to provide internet to all, provide x amount of data to everyone without any barring on the sites (or don't just limit to the basic websites as they call). But thats won't happen as they won't have monopoly then.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more question for which i have no idea when i think more on this, why all this debate with TRAI till now? Aren't telecom operators already doing this by providing data packs like 500mb Whatsapp Data or so? Which again violates net neutrality principles.  8-)  Whats the reason that this is still allowed but free basics is opposed  :why More or less both of them operates on similar principles, both violating net neutrality principle  B-)

BEN TENNYSON

I remember a story that i red few days ago on Quora:
https://www.quora.com/I-want-to-know-more-about-Free-Basics-of-Facebook-What-this-all-thing-is-about?no_redirect=1
I willl quote major part here:
Its not INTERNET Its just facebook. This free access is limited to facebook's partner websites and applications. In no way this is leading towards a big source of knowledge. Is wikipedia a current partner? No Is khan academy a partner? No Is coursera/edx and the likes any of it facebook's partner currently? No. What facebook just wants is to enlarge its Indian User Base on its social network only which would indirectly help them afterwards with advertising/revenue.

What facebook should do is if they really want to provide internet to all, provide x amount of data to everyone without any barring on the sites (or don't just limit to the basic websites as they call). But thats won't happen as they won't have monopoly then.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more question for which i have no idea when i think more on this, why all this debate with TRAI till now? Aren't telecom operators already doing this by providing data packs like 500mb Whatsapp Data or so? Which again violates net neutrality principles.  8-)  Whats the reason that this is still allowed but free basics is opposed  :why More or less both of them operates on similar principles, both violating net neutrality principle  B-)
Quoting my comment from a previous post

Quote/Ask Question
Why the Net Neutrality is important:

If Net Neutrality will gone then network providers will charge whatever they want for a single site.
If the Net Neutrality will gone for forever then you might soon will see something like this:

Let's say you have a small bussiness online, and you are writing ads, trying to reach more customers and targeting good keywords.
Your customer clicks an ad and their network provider throttle down the speed and the page won't load up.Then you have wasted,time and your efforts,
What I'm trying to say is that it will shrink the small businesses.

Without Net Neutrality we won't see the success stories like Google,facebook,because Net Neutrality helped them to grow.

I am not against the zero internet but it should be exist in the same world as it is now.The Net Neutrality should be remain like now for forever.

From topic - http://techbits.co.in/forum/general-talk/net-neutrality/

These packs does not harms the general audiences.You still have access to a environment in which internet is equal to everyone.
The reality is big business companies thinks that they can control everything.

Download Stanford engineering courses free of charge from ‘Stanford Engineering Everywhere (SEE)’

Started by sagrma

Replies: 0
Views: 1522
Last post October 17, 2008, 09:52:23 pm
by sagrma
Microsoft Certified HTML5 CSS3 and Javascript Certification [FREE]

Started by kurosaki

Replies: 12
Views: 4905
Last post March 08, 2013, 12:01:49 am
by XYLS
NIT will offer free coaching to students for engineering entrance examination

Started by super_saiyan

Views: 544
Last post November 09, 2013, 08:40:24 pm
by super_saiyan
PHP, Ajax, Facebook Application Developer required at iLogo

Started by descentis

Views: 1127
Last post May 13, 2011, 07:55:45 pm
by descentis
Facebook crosses one billion active users mark

Started by XYLS

Replies: 4
Views: 828
Last post October 08, 2012, 04:19:52 pm
by ichawla
Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49