Author Topic: What's GRE?  (Read 13618 times)

Offline Furia-Cieca

• Waiting to fail, or failing to wait?
  • Alumni

• MAIT
    • _
      CSE
    • View Profile
Re: What's GRE?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 07:10:34 pm »
Sir first of all really thanks for such an informative post on GRE.

I have plans to pursue MS in CSE in US or abroad and would like to know someinfo on good universities in US and ASIA for same.

For top/good US and top Asian univs like NUS, NTU, HKUST, you will need a no of things to apply.

1. Good GRE score( 315+ out of 340, preferrable 320+ with atleast 165/170 in Quant section) to target top 50-60 univs for CS.

2. Good CGPA. Although even if your CGPA is relatively low but you have good scores in your core subjects, which for CS means Algorithms, OS, Linux, DBMS would mean that you have a good bet. A CPI of 7+ in IPU is good enough and wont be a problem unless you decide to target the likes of Harvard, Stanford, UWash, CalTech, UIUC, UNC or Ivyies etc.
Your college/univ tag matters here. Americans know IIT, IISc, NIT, BITS, NSIT etc, for a seven pointer from there vs 7 pointer from IPU if all else is same, IITian might get through.

3. Research papers, conferences and publications matter a lot. Trust me, admit or reject can often come down to this as it shows your research and intellectual potential. Don't even think of applying to the likes of Stanford, UIUC, MIT, UNC, Harvard, UWash unless you have some research publication/confereence/internship, because even 335+ people often dont get to these places without some research background. Basically if you are aiming for Ivy league or Public Ivies, start from 3rd yr onwards, publish stuff and do some strong internships, build a research profile.

4. Strong Statement Of Purpose(SOP). Considered by man as the single most important factor for admissions. Usually one page document where you mention your background, research activites done, your future resarch goal, and what you intend to do with an MS in CS. This is the only place where you can sell your profile, make it very strong without ANY grammatical or typing errors.

5. You will also need Letters of Reccomendation(LOR), usually from 2-3 people, preferably from teachers/profs/HOD but can also be taken from managers/TeamLead at work. This is again where your college/Univ helps, American/foreign univs would most likely take an LOR from a famous professor or a professor at an IIT more seriously than at say IPU, but we cant do much here. Just get 2-3 LOR's good ones and focus on other aspects of your application.

6. While a TOEFL score of 90-95+ is enough, please know that most top univs have very competitive admissions and 105-110+ in TOEFL will be a decent value addition.

You might need a strong CV and a few other things too. But basically to target top20 CS univs in US or Canada, you should have done strong research work or a strong work ex to get through. One can realistically get very good rank 20-50 univs in USA after studying from IPU with strong GRE, SOP and CPI. That said, I dont know of other colleges from IPU, but MAIT guys have got through before at MS  in Columbia(Ivy lg), UIUC, Univ of Arizona and GaTech( all Public Ivy), so it can be done though it is pretty tough.
MAIT CSE[2008-12]
SAP MDG/HANA/UI5, SAP NetWeaver.

Offline Superayush

• You have it just keep working for it

• MAIT
    • _
      CSE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 09:16:48 pm »

For top/good US and top Asian univs like NUS, NTU, HKUST, you will need a no of things to apply.

1. Good GRE score( 315+ out of 340, preferrable 320+ with atleast 165/170 in Quant section) to target top 50-60 univs for CS.

2. Good CGPA. Although even if your CGPA is relatively low but you have good scores in your core subjects, which for CS means Algorithms, OS, Linux, DBMS would mean that you have a good bet. A CPI of 7+ in IPU is good enough and wont be a problem unless you decide to target the likes of Harvard, Stanford, UWash, CalTech, UIUC, UNC or Ivyies etc.
Your college/univ tag matters here. Americans know IIT, IISc, NIT, BITS, NSIT etc, for a seven pointer from there vs 7 pointer from IPU if all else is same, IITian might get through.

3. Research papers, conferences and publications matter a lot. Trust me, admit or reject can often come down to this as it shows your research and intellectual potential. Don't even think of applying to the likes of Stanford, UIUC, MIT, UNC, Harvard, UWash unless you have some research publication/confereence/internship, because even 335+ people often dont get to these places without some research background. Basically if you are aiming for Ivy league or Public Ivies, start from 3rd yr onwards, publish stuff and do some strong internships, build a research profile.

4. Strong Statement Of Purpose(SOP). Considered by man as the single most important factor for admissions. Usually one page document where you mention your background, research activites done, your future resarch goal, and what you intend to do with an MS in CS. This is the only place where you can sell your profile, make it very strong without ANY grammatical or typing errors.

5. You will also need Letters of Reccomendation(LOR), usually from 2-3 people, preferably from teachers/profs/HOD but can also be taken from managers/TeamLead at work. This is again where your college/Univ helps, American/foreign univs would most likely take an LOR from a famous professor or a professor at an IIT more seriously than at say IPU, but we cant do much here. Just get 2-3 LOR's good ones and focus on other aspects of your application.

6. While a TOEFL score of 90-95+ is enough, please know that most top univs have very competitive admissions and 105-110+ in TOEFL will be a decent value addition.

You might need a strong CV and a few other things too. But basically to target top20 CS univs in US or Canada, you should have done strong research work or a strong work ex to get through. One can realistically get very good rank 20-50 univs in USA after studying from IPU with strong GRE, SOP and CPI. That said, I dont know of other colleges from IPU, but MAIT guys have got through before at MS  in Columbia(Ivy lg), UIUC, Univ of Arizona and GaTech( all Public Ivy), so it can be done though it is pretty tough.

Thx again for taking time and writing such a detailed response...hmm it seems kinda more typical then I thought...
Btw if u can elaborate more on "research work " what exactly u mean by that and what all would I need to do it would be useful...

Work experience means I should prefer to get placed after 4th year and after gaining 2-3 yr exp I should apply.is that what u mean?

SOP AND LOR check.
I don't know much about TOEFL I got 95 in cbse English so how much should I expect in same?(my vocab is above average , good at writing , patient and careful listener , though slight introvert speaker )

Well guess would counsult my seniors aswell as some of my relatives (who have done MS) about same and understand all the necessary info.

Offline Furia-Cieca

• Alumni

• MAIT
    • _
      CSE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2014, 01:03:32 am »

Thx again for taking time and writing such a detailed response...hmm it seems kinda more typical then I thought...
Btw if u can elaborate more on "research work " what exactly u mean by that and what all would I need to do it would be useful...

Work experience means I should prefer to get placed after 4th year and after gaining 2-3 yr exp I should apply.is that what u mean?

SOP AND LOR check.
I don't know much about TOEFL I got 95 in cbse English so how much should I expect in same?(my vocab is above average , good at writing , patient and careful listener , though slight introvert speaker )

Well guess would counsult my seniors aswell as some of my relatives (who have done MS) about same and understand all the necessary info.

Research work/profile entails many many things.
- You could be involved in organizations like IEEE, CSI etc, do their stuff, take part in their conferences. Eventually publish some IEEE article or journal or something.
- Get involved in R&D activities in your area of interest and publish stuff in any journal of international repute/recognition. International papers have a lot of value and you would need 2-3 atleast for PhD programs right after BTech at top univs, 1-2 would be enough for MS.
- Intern at research centers or organizations within India like IISC, at some project at an IIT or Bits(or any institution), at DRDO or MOSPI computer centers, you can show that as research internship of 2-3 months as part of your college course. Many people also work as interns after completing BTech at various research organizations.
- Or, gain strong work ex of 2+ yrs at top R&D companies and product companies like Samsung Software Labs, Grail Research, SAP Labs, Microsoft R&D centre Hyderabad, Facebook etc...you can gain a lot of knowledge at these places.

As I stated before, this research work you might not need if you have high CPI/CGPA, good GRE and TOEFL score, and good SOP for American univs ranked 25-60/70 which are all very good. But you would need some of the above stated points to crack top15-20 in US or top Canadian univs like Univ of Toronto.
MAIT CSE[2008-12]
SAP MDG/HANA/UI5, SAP NetWeaver.

Offline Superayush

• You have it just keep working for it

• MAIT
    • _
      CSE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 12:53:58 pm »

Research work/profile entails many many things.
- You could be involved in organizations like IEEE, CSI etc, do their stuff, take part in their conferences. Eventually publish some IEEE article or journal or something.
- Get involved in R&D activities in your area of interest and publish stuff in any journal of international repute/recognition

. International papers have a lot of value and you would need 2-3 atleast for PhD programs right after BTech at top univs, 1-2 would be enough for MS.
- Intern at research centers or organizations within India like IISC, at some project at an IIT or Bits(or any institution), at DRDO or MOSPI computer centers, you can show that as research internship of 2-3 months as part of your college course. Many people also work as interns after completing BTech at various research organizations.
- Or, gain strong work ex of 2+ yrs at top R&D companies and product companies like Samsung Software Labs, Grail Research, SAP Labs, Microsoft R&D centre Hyderabad, Facebook etc...you can gain a lot of knowledge at these places.

As I stated before, this research work you might not need if you have high CPI/CGPA, good GRE and TOEFL score, and good SOP for American univs ranked 25-60/70 which are all very good. But you would need some of the above stated points to crack top15-20 in US or top Canadian univs like Univ of Toronto.

thx for relevant reply actually I was just exploring one my options of MS in CS from abroad I am yet to get enrolled even for 1st year b tech :p I guess I will have more clarity about same in 3rd year or so :) .(I was also thinking of doing mba ,I.e preparing for CAT)

Offline Tribal

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2014, 05:05:20 pm »
Hi! Just gave the GRE yesterday and scored a 336(170v 166q), have an 8.5 in the IELTS, in addition to an international internship in Shanghai. What are my chances at HKUST, NUS for an msc management?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49